Monday, March 7, 2011

Crazy things, adoptions...

We just got the new today that Rwanda has changed it's requirements. For any adoptions that haven't finalized, adoptive families now have to travel twice. Once for the Act of Adoption and then again to finalize. You can stay in between the 2, looks like it takes about 3 weeks for finalization after the Act of Adoption. Certainly adds stress to the finances! I don't know what we'll do yet but I do know that once I see my child I won't be leaving Rwanda...

3 comments:

  1. Yipes!!! Who told you this? This changes a lot of plans! I don't know how we are going to be away from our little ones for a month and close our business for that long too:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got an email from our adoption agency. They got the news from our POA who was given the info from the Ministry. It's a new policy implemented by the Ministry of Justice and MIGEPROF that requires all adoptive parents to be present in Rwanda to sign the Act of Adoption document. I don't want to be away from my little man (he's 3, almost 4) for so long either. I wonder if there are any other changes is store?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would think they would just do things as they have been for the rest of our dossiers and implement these changes when the new system takes effect!
    My son is the same age too- 4 in May:) And my daughter is 5, so we would have to take them with us for sure. I wonder if both parents have to appear in court, or could it be just 1? That may be a lot easier...

    ReplyDelete